Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How to safely store freesia and oriental lily bulbs until November?

Can I store them in sand?


I was told to cover them in peat moss and store them in a cool place. How do I keep them from rotting %26amp; drying out?

How to safely store freesia and oriental lily bulbs until November?
Hello, you can cover them with peat moss, but what i would recommend is placing them in a brown paper bag as well in a dark dry place. I assume these lilies are either new or have already bloomed? If they have bloomed already it is wise to let the stalks turn yellow to brown, they are storing energy for next years growth. One good thing about these lily bulbs is that they tend to multiply :) even if in brown bag. I did this with some oriental lilies after they had bloomed, placed in bag and put in my storage area, next spring all the roots had mingled together and had about 5 new bulbs shoot off. They were in the bag for about 3 1/2 months or so. The peat moss will help as insulation while in bag etc... can be purchased at HD or Lowe's. Best of luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment