Friday, November 13, 2009

Help with weeds!?

I have a garden in my front yard with roses, tulips, freesia, lilac, and two types of succulents (not sure what they are). It is a very full garden and looks great but I have these annoying vine type weeds that grow all over everything. It goes like crazy, wraps around my roses, takes over. I am constantly pulling them up and can never get them all - then in 2 days they are all back!





Is there some type of weed killer I can get that will get the vine thing but not hurt my plants? Any other ideas as to how I can get rid of these stinkin vines?





I would prefer to use something organic, if at all possible. Thanks!

Help with weeds!?
You can try a pre-emergent like Preen; although, I've had little luck with that specific product.





Organically, theres a corn extract/byproduct that a local orgainic gardening shop says works well as a weed suppressor in grass. The generic stuff is called Corn Gluten. This may work, its supposed to contain something that prevents seed germination so it should interfer with the other plants.
Reply:Try to cut the vine back so that only about 4 leaves are left near the ground. Then, use a household-type sprayer (like an old Windex bottle) and mix up some Killsall (glysophate) at the recommended concentration. Early in the morning (when there are few breezes) CAREFULLY spray the leaves (cover your "good" plants with plastic or a piece of cardboard if they are very close to the vine). Just wet the leaves. In 2 weeks, that vine will be DEAD and won't come back.





Make SURE the product you use contains ONLY glyphosate. Any other chemicals will kill your good plants.


No comments:

Post a Comment